Tuesday 4 September 2007

Great midwifery in the South-East

Good morning!! We're two days away from our holiday and I'm getting excited - happy to get away from all the stresses at work and happy to hopefully get some sunshine whilst we're out there! As you can see, baby's about 15+2 weeks old today and we have our 16 week midwife's appointment this evening. Yup, this evening... it's amazing the midwifery care at least in this part of the country is excellent (so far...fingers crossed!).

And yet if you read about other women's experiences across the country, it can get really bad. Some examples, some women who apparently live up in the North east are having to pay approximately £200 to have their complete blood tests done (the triple test etc) and we get it free and very much as a matter-of-factly! Other women get only a scan at 24 weeks (?!) and others start at week 16. Over here, if we panic, we can call the birth centre and they'll schedule us for an emergency scan. P had an emergency scan when she had a pain in her side at 8 weeks; M had one when she started to bleed (about 6/7 weeks) and I had one that was scheduled so quickly on request of the doctor that when I was pregnant, they thought I shouldn't cancel the scan but tell the sonographer to look for a baby instead (and they obliged!!)...

So, I think at least for baby-related business, we're really good here in the South-east!! :)

I hope I can get my flights sorted by this evening (to Germany for work) and then I'll be much more relaxed. I've finished all the other things I needed to sort out by the holiday, so I'm going to take it easy today. hehe... if other colleagues can go away for 5-8 weeks at a time, I don't see why I can't take off for 2 weeks.

anyways, will update when I've had my midwife's appt.

Love
Pam and the pea

No comments: