Wednesday 30 January 2008

A fab appointment with the consultant

The appointment we had yesterday was completely different from the one we experienced two weeks ago... ! which was a relief. :)

Our appointment was scheduled for 3.30pm and just as I was checking in at the reception, I heard my name being called out by the sonographer! I was surprised that they were actually 'on time'! Anyways, both D and I walked into the ultrasound room and explained that we didn't think we should be having an internal scan due to what we were advised the last time we were admitted. She went and fetched the senior sonographer and we proceeded with a normal ultrasound. Baby was measuring spot on again for his age (36 weeks) and the placenta was still in situ, ie hasn't moved. The sonographer went to get the consultant to take a look (the right consultant!) and he confirmed that the placenta was right lateral and posterior, and covers the internal os - ie, we definitely have to have a caesarean. I suppose even though everyone knew this for the last 8 weeks or so, it was the final confirmation at 36 weeks that will set things in motion, like booking the caesarean section and so on.

We asked if he could do the surgery and he agreed. And so we are booked in for the 18th of February 2008! :) It's kinda weird knowing the actual date that baby will be born, but it's nice too. We are now hoping and willing for baby to stay put till the 18th and that there are no complications that will arise from the c-section. We don't know what time the section will take place as it'll depend on their schedule and other potential emergencies with other women, but I hope we don't have to wait too long as I'll have to start my fast from the midnight the night before!!

We then had a very long talk with the midwife whose job was to talk us through the whole procedure and Lesley (that's her name) was extremely competent, patient and kind. I imagine when all this is over, we will send them a really nice thank you card and maybe some flowers! She answered all our questions without making us feel or think that we were being silly - and that means alot to me/us.

I'll have to revise my birthplan slightly, but that's fine.

All in all, a very positive experience and am pleased that we've not chosen the 'wrong' hospital, doctors or nurses to help us with this birth.

Pam and the pea
36+2 weeks!